Tuesday, February 25, 2014

New Templates from Joel Friedlander

Most of you know I highly recommend Joel Friedlander's book design templates for creating professional quality print and ebooks in Microsoft Word.  The only difficulty has been going through the process twice to get from the print template to the ebook template.

Well, he has solved that problem now with "2-way" templates.  See his blog post about it and the 35% off offer this week.

Definitely check them out.  Being able to have your ebook look as good as your print is amazing. I know that I am going to try this on my next book release. Anything to cut down time is a good thing. He also indicates these templates are less complex.  Also a good thing for those who have struggled with too many formatting options.

Don't forget, my rule of thumb is to actually create my manuscript within the template to start. That saves a lot of time at the end, so I'm not doing cutting and pasting and reformatting from Word to the template.  If you already have a completed manuscript, then you have to do the cut/paste method.

If you try the new 2-way templates, let me know how it goes for you.  I'm always collecting information and data to share with others.


2 comments:

  1. Okay -- from a person with limited tech skills who has self-pubbed because of your info, Maggie-- now that I have a new computer I've switched to Open Document Text and questions. Sometimes ODT is a pain to use, but now that I'm getting used to it I prefer it over Word, however, when I decide to do print books will JF templates be a problem? Is there a way to make this work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JB. Glad to hear my information is helpful to your self-publishing success.

    You can bring Joel's templates into Open Office, because Open Office accepts Word documents as a type to convert. The easiest way to do this is to unzip the file when you purchase it. You will see two different Word documents--a .DOC and a .DOCX. You want to open the .DOCX file in Open Office. All the styles come across perfectly in Open Office and your styles dropdown box is populated. The sample pages and page breaks also come in just fine with the template.

    The one thing that does NOT come into Open Office is the pagination. This is because Open Office treats page numbering as a manual process set up in the header or footer in fields and the backend tags for that don't translate (very different from Word). There is a GUI pagination extension for Open Office but I haven't tried it so can't speak to it. Here is an explanation page on doing pagination that I think is pretty straight forward. It also has a link to the GUI pagination extension. https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221

    When I wrote the DIY Publishing book, I knew two authors who used Joel's templates with Open Office. They both report success and continue to use the templates. They were frustrated that the pagination didn't automatically come across in the conversion. Whether it is worth it to you all depends on exactly what you want out of the templates. If you are looking for good font selections, page breaks and nice styles then I would still recommend them for use with Open Office. However, if your primary purpose is for the pagination then you will be unsatisfied.

    ReplyDelete