The formats range between Google Hangouts, Recorded videos, blog posts, and FB posting. My most favorite presentation this morning is by Bella Andre and Barbara Freethy. These two very successful women have been self-publishing for 4 years and have plenty of experience to share. Whether you are new to self-publishing or have out 10 books, it is still helpful to listen to these veterans. My biggest personal takeaway is "Don't lose faith in yourself and your work." You have to commit to the writing and keep putting out the next book even when the previous one isn't selling like you hoped.
10 Million Sold and Counting - Bella Andre and Barbara Freethy talk about their personal journey to bestseller status. They also talk about their strategies and techniques for discoverability and more sales. It begins from the premise that you have a good book, edited well, and packaged well with a good cover, validated formatting, and good book descriptions. Topics covered include:
For Authors New to Publishing
- Understanding and researching your genre
- Book descriptions
- Wide distribution
- The reality of marketing vs catalog and backlist
- Holding books back for more vs releasing when they are ready
- The transition from traditional publishing to self-publishing--"testing the water" versus commitment to self-publishing with a set of books
- "Advance addiction"
- Changing the editorial relationship from traditional to indie
- Is it harder to enter the indie world now than it was four years ago?
- Strategies for writing series and the patience to see it through
- Staying alive during the cycles of popular genre sales when it's not YOUR genre
- Writing for the long career
- Putting together a team to make the best product
- The news about building print runs instead of POD (Ingram's new efforts)
- Building your email list--most important marketing techniques
- Making priorities--not trying to do it all at once
- Virtual assistants